Monday 28 June 2010

A non cycling weekend

Well that was the plan anyway. After cycling over 1100km the last 2 weekends this weekend was going to be a non cycling one. I was looking after the kids Saturday and overnight and the 2 eldest came round on Sunday.
While reading the forums on Saturday I started to think about an overnight ride on Sunday starting about 20.00. It wouldn't be so hot and at this time of year it wouldn't be cold either.
Sunday morning I decided to do a route I'd done before via Peterborough and Royston, it was an easy to navigate route as I'd done the first leg to Peterborough a few times. The second leg was even easier as all I had to do was follow Ermine street in a straight line through Huntington to Royston.

I set off just after 20.00 it was still quite hot but the breeze while cycling does tend to cool you a bit, which is ok until you stop. Keep moving was the plan and I didn't stop until I got to Peterborough at 89km. The route was rolling hills all the way starting as soon as you head towards Cranfield then crossing the Ouse valley towards Sharnbrook. It rises again to Catworth and eventually drops down to Peterborough. Despite the hills I got to Peterborough at 23.30 with an average of 28.1kph. The Tesco garage was shut and so was the McD, luckily there's another 24hr garage at Yaxley on the way out where I could fill my bottles up. It was still warm and I'd got through 2 already.

Section 2 was easy, all I had to do was head south in an almost straight line (roman roads tend to be like that) down Ermine street. Again this was rolling all the way to Royston continuously up and down getting steeper as you get nearer to the town.
Another quick stop was had eating the sandwich I'd taken with me as nowhere was likely to be open, and I was away again. The avg speed had dropped slightly on that section to 27.9kph and I didn't think I'd keep it that high as the last bit was hilly.

Setting off again at about 01.40 I decided to take the A505 all the way to Baldock as it was virtually empty apart from the odd lorry. Most sane people were in bed!
I stopped in the garage and got a couple of cans of redbull just to keep the energy up and it was away again through Stotfold and Shefford on a route I've done many times before, and it was autopilot all the way.
As it was early and the roads were still empty I stayed on the A507 past Clophill instead of using the lanes I usually take. Good job too as while riding along I noticed a car in the ditch with it's lights still on.
Fearing the worst I knocked on the window, the woman inside was ok and not hurt but didn't know what to do. I called the police for her and after making sure she was still ok I carried on (The police said this was fine).
Staying on the A507 all the way to Ridgmont for a change I eventually came to the last hill of the ride after Woburn. It climbs gently up and once at the top it's a fast drop down to Fenny Stratford and back home.

I got back at just after 04.00 and on checking my GPS I'd kept the avg speed up and finished with my fastest every 200 ride.
210km, 7.30 moving with a avg of 28kph, my legs were a bit shaky but I felt fine.
The preparation for the 1200 in July seems to be going well. I think I'm fit enough, I'll just have to manage the sleep time and see how it goes.

Route

Altitude graph (click to enlarge)

No comments:

Post a Comment