Monday 23 March 2009

A better weekend than last.

After last weekends non cycling I thought it would go well this week with a full house. Wrong!
I started off on Monday with a clean up and a pad change on the brakes to find the rear caliper seized, Judicial battering with a spanner didn't improve matters so a new one was ordered.
Before 1pm delivery on Thursday was processed and I waited for the shiny package to arrive, and waited, and waited!
Finally there was a knock on the door on Saturday morning.
Now to get the old rotor off the wheel, Aaaaaaah! no luck. An idea! I can put the new one on my NEW shiny front hub dynamo wheel, sorted. All was well.

Sunday got me up at a silly hour with the alarm going off at 4am and I was up and out the door for 5 for a nice ride to nearly Ipswich and back.
Up and through Woburn park with the deer scattering from the bloody annoying squeak coming from the front brake!
Stopped numerous times to try and rectify it, eventually getting it about bearable and arriving at the start of the 200km Audax ride near Cambridge just as the other riders were about to leave at 8.
Quick coffee and out in pursuit of them but the 10 minute gap and their fresh legs saw me on my own for most of the day.
Did manage to chat to people at the cafes but usually as they were leaving.

Out of Cambridgeshire and into Suffolk was an excellent ride with the tailwind and I was cruising along at a good speed. After the turn the wind had picked up and the ride back through Essex and Hertfordshire back to Cambridge was hard work, getting back to the start/finish village hall at 21.00.
A chat to the organiser whilst scoffing soup, doughnuts and jam sarnies and away again at 21.30 for the 70km ride back home.
A lot slower ride back with the headwind and being dark, taking me 4.5hrs compared to the 3hrs it took me to get there, fell asleep in the bath after getting back at 2.

All in all a good day with a total of 350km (220miles) in a total of 21hrs.

Next weekends jaunt is a 300km ride from Oxford to Wales and back via Newent, the forest of dean and Chepstow.
Hope my legs have recovered by then!

No comments:

Post a Comment