Tuesday 19 January 2010

Weather

Hasn't it been fun the last 3 weeks or so!! Mind you the snow only stopped me from riding home from work on 1 day. I had been working all night the 1st time it snowed and it was too deep for the trike to get through. I walked home instead :-D
It was a lovely morning watching the sun rise as I walked along the canal side.
The walk was 10km (6.5 miles) and it only took me 1hr40 which I thought was rather good.

The next morning it was -6c and I got a lift in but did ride back again after.
The trike was good on the ice and compacted snow and I was keeping up with the other traffic on the gridroads. At some points they were holding me up.
I've still been doing the daily commute, some of my co-workers think I'm mad others just know I am and just except it. It's not that bad and as long as you have the right clothes cycling in below freezing temps is ok.

Due to the weather my 1st planned 200km ride of the year from Oxford was cancelled. It wasn't going to be easy, probably not even possible to ride the lanes over the Cotswolds.
This weekend sees another attempt at an audax with an extended calendar ride.
This is a 200km ride with 100km added on to it so I can ride to the start at Chalfont St Peter and back again when I finish.
If the weather holds and it doesn't snow again I'll be on the Bacchetta. Being lighter and faster than the trike it will be easier to climb hills and finish in a reasonable time (hopefully).

Also this week I've entered and paid for the ferry tickets to go over to the Netherlands in July for "The lowlands 1200".
As the name suggests this ride should be good on the recumbent although I'm reliably informed that there is some climbing on the southern section around Maastricht.
Now I just have to get out on the bike and get the miles in.

No comments:

Post a Comment