Saturday 27 February 2010

Kennet Valley Run 200km + 100 km

The plan was to cycle down to Reading on Friday as I had booked the night off.
I eventually got on the bike at about 13.00.
After leaving the wind was getting harder and faster so instead of cycling all the way to Reading I decided to only go as far as Oxford, this changed as I rode along and I only got to Bicester instead :-)
I got on a train there to Oxford and on to Reading from there, arriving in the town centre just as rush hour was starting.
The ride to the travelodge was uneventful really apart from taking the wrong road out of town and doing a slight detour up a hill!!
The evening was uneventful also as Friday night tv is crap. Thank god I work nights!!

I was up at 6 and away for 6.40 and heading for the start of the 200km ride. I arrived with plenty of time for coffee, toast and chat with the other riders before the off.
The ride started well in the bunch and I was going well and making good time to the first control at Hungerford.
At about the 40km mark I had to ride over a bit of rough road due to a van on the other side of the road, I usually try to avoid the worst surfaces but couldn't this time and I felt a change in the handling on the bike.
I stopped a bit further up to check the tyre etc but couldn't work out what it was.
Every time I pushed on the pedals I could feel the frame flex and knew something was wrong.
On arriving at the 50km control I took a beter look and found the frame had snapped!!!
That was the end of this ride.
















I ended up getting the train from Hungerford to London, walking up the Euston road and getting on the train back to Bletchley and home.
I've spoken to the shop that I got the bike from and a new frame shouldn't be a problem :-)
At least it didn't go half way up a Welsh mountain in the middle of nowhere on a mad 600km ride or on the 1200km ride in July.
The RRTY (200km ride every month) has gone pear shaped this year now but not to worry I may still be on for the recumbent points record, I'll have to see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. Blimey Rich
    It was lucky you found it when you did. Are you going to get that carbon one?
    :0)
    nobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish!! No I should just get a replacement frame and transfer the parts from this one :-)all going well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're ok, and that you've got a plan going forwards. All sounds good.

    ReplyDelete