Tuesday 4 May 2010

200km audax ride to Ely.

The weather was still bad and after looking out of the window at 05.00 I decided to do a shorter ride than the 300km I'd planned to do up to Newark and back. The headwind that slowed us down on the local ride on Sunday was still blowing.

After breakfast I eventually got out the door and left the garage at 08.00 heading northwards into the wind to Olney stopping for a bit to chat to a friend about his new bike (Bacchetta Giro 26 ATT) the same bike as mine but lighter and faster :-)
At Olney the headwind seemed to still be in front of me as I turned NE and it was the same all the way to the halfway point at Ely. Just for good measure it rained and hailed on me also.

I was hoping it would be a good ride home with a tailwind but this only seemed to last for the ride down Twenty Pence lane whilst heading for Cambridge. When turning right for Gamlingay it was at my side again and felt more of a hindrance than a help.

The ride back through Biggleswade, Shefford, Flitick, up and over the Greensand Ridge and Woburn park was hard work. Whether this was due to the earlier headwind or just my legs still being tired I wasn't sure.
I still got around in under 10hrs with 2hrs off of the bike so it wasn't too bad.
Although I've since found the new rear brake pads I put in after the Severn Across ride last week were rubbing a bit and stopping the wheel spinning freely!!

Moral of the story is "check the bike before you go out on long rides :-D"

No comments:

Post a Comment