Wednesday 27 May 2009

DIY 300 25/5/09

After the disastrous start on the BCM 600 last weekend I decided to go out on a 300km ride around the fenlands of Cambridgeshire and Norfolk.
I submitted a route for validation on Friday evening, a bit late but was pretty sure it would be ok as all the others I've put in have been.
I'd not heard from Andy (the DIY organiser) by Monday morning, it was the BH weekend though so I didn't really expect to.

I made sure I had enough sleep this time and was up at 5am and after eggs and beans is was at the garage at 6.15 to get a drink and receipt for the start.
The start of the ride took me on the familiar route up the A5, across to Woburn and along the A505 towards the first control at Biggleswade. The traffic was unnoticeable as it was still early arriving there at 7.50.
Receipt and drink purchased I was away again northwards on the B1040 through St Ives and on towards Wisbech. The wind seemed to pick up on this stage, it wasn't fast but being the fens there's nothing to stop it. I got there at 11.45 and sat outside a garage eating junk watching all the people doing the usual BH joy of visiting garden centers.

Retraced the route back a bit and after getting lost going through Outwell I found the right road and headed for Littleport, just above Ely.
I could see a huge plume of smoke coming from the direction I was heading in, and as I got closer to Littleport I found the road closed due to a transport company being alight.
Backtracked towards Welney and after a 20km detour I got to Ely, a bit south of the intended route but not too bad.
The sun had got up by now and it was getting to be a hot day, after digging about in my bag I found the suncream and put some on my head and with the buff on as well I was on my way again
After more dodgy map reading skills I eventually got to the transport cafe at Red Lodge just off of the A11 at 15.15 and 200km on the road. Egg chips and beans was consumed and after a short 45min's I was away again heading back westwards towards Huntingdon.

A reasonably eventful section with a few more cars about, people seemed to be getting more impatient towards the evening. Must be the weather and the end of the weekend blues.
More drink purchased and bonk rations for the last bit were got from the garage there and it was off again into the rolling hills around Gratham water.
The route from there towards Olney I've done a few times so it was easy navigation, the hills slowed me down a bit as with nearly 300km done my legs were beginning to feel tired.
As I passed through Harrold it was time to put the lights on and I got to Olney at 22.00 looking like a Christmas tree.

Quick receipt and away for the last section home. The pothole I hit every time through Sherington was still there, I forgot it was there again and was jolted out of my seat swearing.
Eventually I made my way through MK to the garage for the final receipt arriving at 23.00.

The total for the ride was 335km, slightly more than first put in for but still within the time limits for the ride (20hrs).
I got round in 16.45 with 2hrs off the bike, 26.2kph avg.
I'm reasonably happy with that as it's the fastest ride this season and after last weekends DNF I'm happy to be out again with no problems. Apart from slightly sunburned arms!

Now do I go out next weekend for a 200km or wait until the weekend after and another 600km one? Choices!!

No comments:

Post a Comment