Sunday 3 May 2009

May FSoTM ride

After a warm week of riding in a t/shirt the weather changed a bit today with a brisk north-westerly blowing meaning a jacket was needed.
Though this never stopped the 42 riders coming out to join me for the start at Furzton lake.
This is the second largest turnout I've had on one of my rides in the 6 years I've been leading them. All down to The Parks Trust putting the ride in the local paper.

So after a slightly delayed start we were off along the Millennium Cycle Route around the MK bowl, along Peartree lane and through the estates towards Woughton on the Green.
It was a good turnout but meant that the group stretched out along the narrow paths and we had to stop at major junctions for the rear markers to catch up.

The path along the canal towards Willen lake is getting worse with tree routes starting to raise parts of the surface tarmac. It was like riding on a washboard at times, probably not a problem for the riders on MTB's with big tyres but on my recumbent with 100psi in them my eyes were starting to shake.

Decided to stop at the cafe at Willen today as there was some children along and it would break up the ride for them. On a Sunday morning this is the only place open to stop.

Back up to the canal and a quick stop to replace a pedal that had fallen off of one of the childrens bikes, a puncture for one of the riders from Newport was the only other mechanical I knew of on the ride.

Back going again and away from the canal up to Gt Linford to join the railway walk and another stop to regroup at Bradwell, then down and along the Loughton Valley to follow the stream back to Furzton lake and the finish.

I managed to get a few pictures along the way, They can be found here on my photobucket page.





The next one (a 30 mile ride to Salcey Forest cafe) is on the 2nd Sunday in June and not the first as I'm away on a long ride that weekend.
Hope to see some of you along and enjoying the ride with us again, that is the reason why I do it. To get more people out and about on bikes and showing them how easy it is to get about on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment