Sunday 20 December 2009

A Cold Sunday

I'm glad I did a ride last weekend as the weather looks like long distance cycling will not be fun for a while, if not impossible.
The snow here has mostly gone from the roads but the cold weather and frozen slush on the side roads makes cycling a tad dangerous.
The Bacchetta is under wraps in the shed as I'm now riding the trike. It keeps my lower body a bit warmer and of course I can't fall off of it unless I go mad around a corner.
Last years fall on the ice on Dec's FSoTM ride happened so quickly I was sliding down the road before I knew anything about it. Luckily the only damage was to the mirror on the bars and not me from the following car.

I'm still an all year round commuter though and the 10km ride over to Tongwell is still fun if a bit cold to start with.
Wrapped up with a woolly hat and winter gloves, a buff for face protection and the fairing on the trike the journey is not too bad. I even find myself unzipping the coat as I'm getting too warm.
The coldest ride last year was -9c, it's not been that cold this year yet but the wind chill from the fairing onto my face is probably colder at 30+kph.

I may manage to get out for another 200km before the year is over, I'll have to see what the weather is like the Sunday between Xmas and new year. If not it will be the Jan 3rd FSoTM ride as the next one.
Hope you all have a good Christmas and new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment