Sunday 26 April 2009

Upcoming 600km ride

Over the weekend of the 16/17th of May I'm off to South Wales for the first 600km ride of this year, The Bryan Chapman Memorial
I've done this ride before so know what it entails and it will mean I know when the hills will appear!! Don't know if this is a good thing or not.
Wish me luck!!
Last year I put a ride report onto the Bacchetta forum which I've pasted below if anyone fancies a read.


A ride of 620km from the coast at Chepstow in South Wales to the Coast in North Wales and back, with about 28000’ of climbing thrown in for good measure.

After arriving at Chepstow the night before and getting about 5 hrs sleep in the car with the bike, I woke up at 04.30 and as my alarm was due to go off at 05.00 I decided to get up.
Breakfast consisted of a cold can of rice pudding some cereal and a bit of toast, I wasn’t too worried as I’d eaten a pasty, 2 scotch eggs, chicken and mushroom slice and a packet of jaffa cakes while sat in the car the previous night.

90 riders started off up the road at 06.00 all on upright bikes, 1 tandem and only me on a ‘bent.
The first stage was rolling countryside with a few minor hills and the first control/cafe came at 80km. 1/2hr later I was off again on the longer stage of about 120km soon slowing down as the ride started going into the bigger hills around Rhayader (where I got cheered and got a round of applause from a group of about 30 OAPs), and down to the coast near Aberystwyth and along to another café for lunch.


The next stage was again up, through Machynlleth and more mountains to the Youth Hostel at Dolgellau (220km) which the organiser had hired for the whole weekend, more food was consumed and it was away again for the next stage to Menia Bridge and the half way point.
The hill at penrhyndeudraeth was a shock as it seemed to go skyward at one serious angle (I may have seen a sign saying 40%). Then it was onto the long steady climb up Pen-Y-Pass and around Mt Snowden for the drop down the other side at eye watering speeds to arrive at Menia at 21.00 for my quickest 300 to date 15hrs.
It was then a ride back around the flatter side of Snowden and up past the Llyn Trawsfynydd power station (lit up like a Christmas tree and could be seen for miles) and back to the hostel at 02.30 (380km) for more food and 3 hours sleep.

With a pre-arranged wake-up call at 06.00 I was up and feeling quite good, more food was eaten (cereal and cooked breakfast) and I was off again for the 240km ride back to Chepstow.
The first 20km out and up the first climb was hard with a head wind and the top didn’t come soon enough, which meant I had a nice stroll to the top, about the 3rd time I’d walked some parts.
The stop at Aberhafesp was again welcome with more food and coffee.

Then came the longest climb of the ride not too steep but went on for miles, the descent was a bit technical with a few hairpin bends so I was caught and overtaken by a friend who knew the route, not for long though as the road opened up to sweeping bends and I was away at silly speeds again passing a mountain biker at about mach3 (He’d overtaken us on the climb).
Another stop at Tref-Y-Clawdd for a drink and a pie and into rolling countryside to the next control at Weobley, where more food and drink was consumed!!

Another rolling stage with just enough speed down one side to get up the other before the next drop. I’d been warned about the last biggish climb up through the village of Llancloudy and didn’t get far up it before walking again.
The last stage from Monmouth to Chepstow was along the Wye valley through overhanging trees past Tintern Abbey with a slow low gear slog in towards the race course, I could see a group ahead on the climb but could not quite reach them until the downhill.
There was a shout of put the kettle on as I went past with the smell of the finish in my nostrils, to arrive at 20.45.

640kms total, 38.45hrs out, 31.30hrs cycling, and 2.5 hrs to spare.

Longest ride this year, as I’ve only had the bike 3 weeks and have only done one other 200km on it.

Things that need sorting out are get the euromesh seat sorted out (waiting for one to come over here to the shop), I can then get bottles fitted properly and do not have to keep stopping for a drink.
Get proper lights fitted for the night section as a Cateye cube is not good for speed at night. I’ve got an IQ fly but need to get the dynamo fitted.

I like this bike very much and it is a lot quicker than the trike I did an SR on last year.
Now off to plan the next ride.

P.S. don't ask me to try to pronounce the place names as I haven't a clue

Rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment