Sunday 19 April 2009

210km DIY Audax


I didn't fancy driving to an event this weekend so I submitted a route for a DIY ride.

Alarm set for 6 and after too much drink last night (must stop that before a ride!) and not enough sleep I was out of the door for 7.30.
Was a bit chilly to start with as I cycled to the garage for a receipt and along the A5 towards Stony Stratford to get one from there also.

Left turn then for Buckingham along the A422 which being just after 8 on a Sunday morning, was very quiet. Drop down and climb back out of Buckingham towards Gawcott and the back lanes through Bicester towards Witney for a sandwich and a drink. With the tailwind all the way from Stony I managed to get there (80km) in just over 3hrs.
On through Bampton and another stop at Didcot (120km) to get more drink. It was then turn left into a headwind.

Stopped at a cafe on the Thames at Benson for beans on toast, then to skirt the Ridgeway all the way to the next control at Dunstable.
Being near to the hills the road although following the base was still up and down, getting more so as I left Wendover on the way to Tring and past the Beacon at Ivinghoe.
Last nights drink, headwind and hills were starting to slow me down a lot now and I was glad to reach Dunstable.
Knowing that the headwind would be changing to a sidewind and that there were only a few hills on the A5 lifted the moral no end.

Traffic was a bit busier now but all of them gave me a wide berth, must be the funny bike!
Got back to the garage at 19.50 and home minutes later.

Stats:-
212km
12.20hrs out
8.53hrs cycling, too long faffing about off of the bike.
Average speed of 23.9kph
Max speed of 59.4kph down from Little Brickhill, Couldn't spin my legs any faster.
Lost 1/2 a stone in weight! due to dehydration, did drink 6+ ltrs though.

Write 100 times "Must not drink the night before a bike ride!"

This brings the total for this bike to 9450km in nearly a year, I was hoping to get over 10000 but a few rides not started and not finished put payed to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment