Monday 13 April 2009

Do I, Don't I?

That was the question as I was leaving Wetherby at 10 this morning.
While cycling along the York road after getting a receipt from the garage to prove the start time, I wasn't sure if I fancied another ride through the night after a weekend of cider at my brothers.
I made up my mind as I cycled into York and instead of turning right for the racecourse I turned left for the station.

Got a ticket and was on the first train south 5 minutes later.
I decided to go as far as Peterborough and cycle the rest of the way from there.
On leaving the station I managed to find my way out of the town, down the A15 and along the old A1 which runs alongside the motorway. To then Turn right onto the B road that takes you all the way into Bedford.
Gorgeous day and in just a t/shirt for the first half of the ride but as I was just about to climb the hill/bridge over the A14 my rear gear cable snapped at the changer!!

Bugger, what to do now, get phone out and see how far from Bedford I was and thought about ringing my mate from there to pick me up.
Try to fix it first, pull spare cable through changer and tie a knot in it?
It worked!! lost a couple of gears but no problem.

Onwards and southwards, passing through Harold and a stop at Olney for a cold pie, some sort of pastry with currants and custard and a Lucozade sport. Proper cyclist food :-D
Left there feeling a bit better and followed a racer up Emberton hill, he kept getting out of the saddle and looking back. Bugger that I'm not racing after a weekend of nearly 500km and too much cider.
Went past him on the downhill through the next village though, never to be seen again. :-D

Through Newport Pagnell and dodging the pedestrians around Willen lake (must be the weather!) past one couple and powered away, SNAP!! 12' of newly oiled chain trailing behind me.
Arse!! get the chain tool and split link out of the bag, fix chain which is miraculously not oily, it's all on my hands now.

Rest of the ride through MK went without a problem and was home for 19.00 with a total of 120kms and 5hrs cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment